Tuesday 16 May 2000

The blog lives!

When discovering social media all those years ago, I vowed never to enter the world of blogging. Why is that? This is why....

Blogging?
....my thoughts of what a typical blogger looks like and that's just not me. Firstly, I'm a man. Secondly, I have ginger hair (debatable).

However, as the years have rolled on by and my interest in doing things other than sitting at work or playing computer games has grown, I've found, among other things, that the it's the blogs of real people that have been the most interesting, offered the best advice and generally been the proverbial hot iron that have poked me into some sort of action. Please bear with me as I make a ham fisted attempt at this blogging business a get this very small corner of the internet into a readable and hopefully interesting condition.

So, welcome. That's me, just over there ->

But, why now?

Well, over the last few years I have developed a very keen interest in the great outdoors, almost like an illness. Definately and obsession. If it's high, I want to climb it. If it's narrow, I'll (try) and squeeze through it. If it flows, I'll generally fall in it, or at least end up with a wet foot and/or feet.

Some of the very best ways to discover the UK are by foot (with some help from the trusty automobile) with the writings of other like-mineded individuals guiding the way. I intend to throw my flat cap into the ring, so to speak. I'll generally be writing about some of the walks that my long suffering wife, Sara, and I undertake around the north of England, maybe reviewing the odd bit of kit now and again and generally making a pretty poor attempt at writing down this language we call 'English'.

I've also embarked on a bit of a challenge. Nothing too comic relief, like sitting in a tub of beans while singing the back catalogue of Abba for 24hrs or skipping everywhere for a week. That would be difficult. It's more of a personal quest, a quest to climb all of the famous Wainwright peaks in the Lake District, as described in Alfred Wainwright's series of Pictorial Guides to the Lakeland Fells. That's all 214 of them. To add a bit of of an incentive, I turn 27 this year and have made it my aim to have them all climbed by the end of the year of my 30th.

As a side project this this, I've also got plans to climb the various Yorkshire 2000ft+ peaks over the coming months and, probably, years. These hills, often over looked by more famous lists like the Wainrights or Munros, offer the very best that can be found in the area of the Yorkshire Dales (though, not strictly all are within Yorkshire, as I'll explain later) and provide just as much pleasure climbing them. They include the classic Yorkshire three peaks of Whernside, Ingleborough and Pen-Y-Ghent, the stunning Howgills and delights such as Buckden Pike and Wild Boar Fell. If not walking the hills, I'll probably be walking the lower bits to appease the other half. She likes wide rivers and you tend not to find many of those up high.

I'll be using routes that I've gleaned from other peoples blogs, or routes that I've generally cobbled together myself. Either way, I'll provide any relevant information to go with each route and, hopefully, help anyone else who might be daft enough to undertake these challenges.

Read on....

2 comments :